Tuesday 29 March 2011

Some of my fav & must have Make Up books

These are some of my favourite make up books. Each of these are books are stunning and inspirational.
All of these books were purchased from Amazon but they are avaliable in all good book shops.

  • MAKEUP IS ART (Professional techniques for creating original looks) byJana Ririnul & Lan Nguyan.
This is one of the most stunning books I have ever seen and it is with me at all times. It starts with advice about skin types and which products to choose, it also cover make up tools and how to get the perfect canvas. This is a must for an artist, ranging from the Bridal Make up artist or to someone who wants a wilder look, this will inspire you in so many different ways. I also like that it contains hundreds of beautiful photos, some of them show how to create some of the instense looks, even covering body painting.
I can not stress how much I love this book.

  • make-up MASTERCLASS by Jemma Kidd
Jemma Kidd, in my opinion is a amazing make up artist and this book shows this. I think this book is great for everyone, ranging from the total beginner to semi-pro.
This book covers creating a perfect canvas, shaping eyebrows, how to care for different skin types etc.
I love how she shows how to create looks for different skins all the way through the book. Fot the 'Everyday Gorgeous' section she shows a look for Porcelain, Fair, Olive And Deep. Not a lot of books do this, they tend to have a more general explanation, but she has a look of each page for different skins.
She also has contain a holiday look which is great as people know how to apply their make up on but are unprepared for when they have a tan. She covers the topic quickly and also gives examples of what products to use while away.
Sorry but I couldn't go without make up on holiday.

  • Makeup makeovers: Weddings ( Stunning looks for the entire bridal party) by Robert Jones
This is a lovely book for people that specialize in Bridal makeup or if you simply want to increase your natural beauy. It gives advise on what makeup to wear and how much to apply depending on what time of the day your wedding is, tanning before the big day, concealing scars and blemishes and then different products avaliable and how to use them. It then goes on to 'Creating your look' which is a series of before and after shots and explains how it was achieved and what time of the day the wedding is taking place. In my opinion, I think that some of these pictures have been slightly airbrushed but its not a major problem. Nice little book.

  • ABOUTFACE (celebrity makeup techniques) by Scott Barnes.
This is a nice book. The images are really clear and well presented. Once again, this will range from the beginner to the semi-pro but even the pros could keep this book to had for quick reference, if they need to demonstrate something to the client. It contains a lot of interviews with models, stars etc.,. giving their views on make up (not a lot of detail) and things like that. I think this book could doi without these to be honest but thats just my opinion. Its also have transformation section which have before and after shots and step by step guides for each look with images, which helps a lot. Eventhough the images are striking (there is one that really isn't) the make up looks really heavy and thick which is ok if you are on a shoot but not on a day to day basis, but these can be toned down to suit your needs. This does contain some really useful information and the pictures are beautiful. Very nice book.

  • MAKE UP by Marie Claire
Ok, I am fond of this book but only beause of the images. This is perfect for beginners as the information is very basic and common knowledge to an artist but a great starting point. I do really like that it tells you how to recognise your face shape. This sounds so easy but some people can find it hard to decide which one they are. As I have said, the information is very basic and straight forward, so perfect for the beginner. The images are nice, typical of a magazine, very in your face (which I like), however not pratical for every day use but good for basic inspiration.
It does contain a couple of pages about manicures and pedis, which is handy. It has some interviews from a few famous make up artist including Bobbi Brown which is very interesting, especially her one, and also a few step by step guides but some airbrudhing.
I prob sounds like I have a downer on this book, I don't, I like it but I think there are better ones avaliable to people with eaperience but it is a nice all round book that is good for training and helping others learn. Perfect for the beginner.

My fav is MAKEUP IS ART. It is breathtaking. Beautiful just to look through or to learn from.


No comments:

Post a Comment